Senior Software Engineer (PHP/Symfony)
We are Firebrand Technologies, a software and technology services company that has been helping publishers handle their internal workflows, digital distribution, and marketing efforts for over 30 years.
If you love books and building things on the web, we are sure you would enjoy:
* Building web-based tools used by book publishers to make their job easier
* Releasing code often and getting immediate real world feedback
* Coding in PHP with Symfony and deploying to Amazon Web Services
* Working either remotely or in our office in Newburyport, MA
NetGalley helps publishers and authors promote digital review copies to book advocates and industry professionals. Publishers make digital review copies and audiobooks available for the NetGalley community to discover, request, read, and review. Our team is continuously improving and adding features to this platform to help books succeed. We face interesting challenges in back-end processing, query optimization, building efficient user interfaces, producing actionable data visualizations and reports, and in other areas across all levels of the application stack.
With this and other exciting projects underway, its a great time to join the Firebrand team!
At Firebrand, you will:
* Contribute directly to the architecture and implementation of the NetGalley platform
* Work with and occasionally contribute to open source software packages that we use in our projects
* Build automated functional and unit tests
* Participate in agile planning sessions using Jira and related tools
* Document useful practices and tools to share with the team
* Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience
* 4+ years of experience with modern enterprise PHP code and automated testing
* Experience with the Symfony framework (version 4+)
* Experience with database development and optimization (we use PostgreSQL and MongoDB)
* Experience with Scrum or other agile processes, and with Jira or similar tools
* Excellent communication skills
This position is either remote from anywhere in the continental United States with occasional travel required, or based out of our office in Newburyport, MA, depending on your preference.
No relocation assistance or visa sponsorship available.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Work in United States