What shall I do with a toxic buddy?

Tech Career - - lonely-dev - OP

I just a new team 3 weeks ago and got an onboarding buddy who is really toxic. She doesn't help at all. If I ask a question on Slack, she only throws a bunch of links to internal wiki pages. The problem is that the wiki documentation is more like a reference rather than a tutorial. It could probably help to someone who is already knowledgeable but it only makes me feel more confused. I'm now stuck with my first task, and if I ask her for help, she just throws more links. She is often very busy and replies with delays. We have a gaming hour on Fridays where we play board games with the team online, and I won couple of times and she was really angry about that, asked if I cheated. I now regret that I joined those gaming hours at all. Is it a good idea to talk to my manager about that? What makes me doubt is that she's kind of valuable in the team, mainly because of her tenure here, and as I found out recently, most of the folks who created the platform that we are supporting have already left. What shall I do?

4 comments

JavaLeadx1
are you the only new hire? how many devs on the team? does anyone else have that kind of issue with her?
lonely-dev - OP
there are several new folks, each one is assigned a buddy - of the two two tenured devs, and looks like it was my bad luck..
money_coder
Did you ask her for a pair-coding session? I.e. you both jump in a voice call, you share your screen and she's guiding you till the task is resolved? I would try that, and if she rejects then I would escalate to your EM. Hopefully she will agree and that will work out :)
stonks_master1
yup, tell her that you are confused and stuck and need a call. Try to get as much as possible out that. overall, it looks like a sink-of-swim culture there, so you have to make a call whether to accept the challenge and stay or jump ship... sorry.