What is the pay bump for Amazon SDE promo L5 -> L6?

Tech Career - - centurion - OP

Working with my manager on a promo doc but couldn't figure out what's the expected pay raise I can expect. She couldn't provide any specific details, and mentioned it depends on some "external factors". She's a new SDM L6 recently transitioned from TPM, so I'm not sure, is she supposed to really know?

3 comments

worker43
That's sounds like BS. I think she does know but doesn't want to demotivate you. Unless you are a TT (top performer), you may get a very small raise. The reason is that you will be just started working at a new level so you will likely be put at the very bottom of the band...
Farmazonian
Yes, that's sounds right. Too many SDM don't play fair just to avoid attrition and use a promo as a carrot in front of you, to prevent you from switching teams or leaving. If you are past your vesting period, and unless you are really have reasons to trust your SDM, I'd suggest looking externally and promote yourself.
worker43
Yep, they say: never ask for promo, and if you are not promoted in 2-3 years, it's almost always better to promote yourself at another company.