Should I share that I am laid off to recruiters

Miscellaneous - - vineverlas - OP

Hi, My startup company recently laid off a vast majority of employees and I was impacted as well. Now I am in search of new opportunity, so, I am wondering if I should share that I am laid off from my current role. I am very transparent in my discussions with recruiters. However, this is the first time I am laid off and not sure how I should present myself to recruiters in this situation. This is not a performance related layoff, based on the assurances we have received and looking at the amount and kind of people who are laid off, it is clear that the layoff happened purely based on company decision to cut costs and/or unshared business motives. Looking forward to the advice from you.

3 comments

Farmazonian
Yes, I'd suggest to share that, probably just emphasis that it was a mass-layoff i.e. provide the number of engineers who have been let go. However, if you were fired instead of laid off, that would be a different story. In that case you would probably try to hide that fact. But if that's a layoff then there is nothing to worry about just because it was not your fault. Good luck!
Pip-me-if-you-can
I second that. You lost your job not because of your underperformance or misbehaviour - it's the company who didn't manage their business well enough to keep your role. So nothing to worry about sharing that.
vineverlas - OP
Thank you both. It was indeed a mass layoff, estimated to be at least 50% employees if not more. I will share this confidently.