Seeking Career Transition Advice After Unexpected Role Change

Tech Career - - Project Manager - OP

I was recently informed by my startup, where most IT leadership is based in India, that I have 30 days to find a new job because I no longer meet the current criteria. Six months ago, they reorganized internally and changed my role to a pre-sales consultant without informing me or providing any warnings. I need help and advice. I'm a 30-something single female, open to relocation and looking to transition from project management to a similar career. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 comments

Tiger12 edited
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Transitioning careers, especially under such circumstances, can be challenging, but there are several steps you can take to navigate this process effectively: 1. Update Your Resume and LinkedIn Profile: Ensure your resume highlights your most recent experiences, skills, and accomplishments. Tailor it to reflect your project management expertise and any relevant skills for roles you are interested in. Similarly, update your LinkedIn profile to reflect your current status and career aspirations. 2. Leverage Your Network: Reach out to former colleagues, mentors, and friends in the industry. Let them know about your situation and ask if they are aware of any openings or opportunities. Networking can often lead to unadvertised job openings. 3. Job Boards and Recruiters: Use job boards like LinkedIn, Mirajobs, Indeed, and Glassdoor to search for positions. Also, consider connecting with recruitment agencies that specialize in your field. They can help match your skills with potential employers. 4. Skill Development: If there are specific skills or certifications that could enhance your employability, consider taking online courses or attending workshops. Platforms like Coursera, Udemy, and LinkedIn Learning offer courses in project management, leadership, and other relevant areas. 5. Consider Relocation: Since you are open to relocation, widen your job search to include cities or regions where your skills are in high demand. Some cities have a higher concentration of startups and tech companies, which could provide more opportunities. 6. Prepare for Interviews: Brush up on your interview skills. Practice common interview questions and prepare to discuss your recent role and the changes you experienced. Be ready to articulate how your skills and experiences make you a strong candidate for the roles you're pursuing. 7. Stay Positive and Persistent: Job searching can be a stressful process, but maintaining a positive attitude and staying persistent is crucial. Keep applying, networking, and improving your skills, and opportunities will come your way. Feel free to reach out if you need more specific advice or support during your job search. Good luck!