Coding tasks in tech interviews

Tech Career - - JavaLeadx1 - OP

Why we are still using coding challenges in tech interviews, event for senior and EM roles?
It's funny. Straight out of university I probably could have coded up a merge sort out of my head. Now over 10 years later I have to pull out a text book and dust it off.
So if a company is using this as a screening problem for hiring I hope they're expecting a junior dev.
https://twitter.com/glenmccallumcan/status/1141772824542973952

Tags: interviews

5 comments

Knight1
As someone mentioned on Quora, doing a regular interview is not as effective as solving a problem. There is a lot of information that a good interview can get from how a candidate approaches the task, how they clarify the requirements, how they react to a feedback / corrections, how they deal with ambiguity, etc. Unfortunately, some companies just ask to solve a coding problem and only evaluate the result as "yes / no", or in the best case, as a 3-category outcome: optimal solution / naive solution / no solution. So it's up to an interviewer and a company how to get the most information about the candidate from the coding or a design task. And candidates can also make conclusions about the interviewer and the company, especially if they get multiple offers that they can choose from ...
Tiger12
while I do understand how annoying coding exercises can be, especially for senior / lead / PM roles, but there is still no better way to verify basic CS fundamentals what would you suggest? Just rely on credentials / prior work history and assume that an SDE III from Amazon with 10 years of experience knows what to do? Or offer another type of logic challenge i.e. a fischer chess game? :)
JavaLeadx1 - OP
No, really, why?
centurion
It's like a test drive before buying a car, you have to see how a software engineer does software engineering.
JavaLeadx1 - OP
Well, there are many more ways to figure that out - design interview, ask to share their code, do a code review, etc. Inverting a binary tree or implementing quick sort requires *specific* skills that are not used in everyday work.