Cloud Certificsation

Tech Career - - anonymous - OP

Is it better to get a cloud certification or look for companies who will train you in cloud development?

4 comments

centurion
Tell us more about you situation. How many years of experience do you have? FAANG or small companies? Or are you are fresher? Are you currently employed and looking for get to a new level, or you are actively looking for a job?
anonymous - OP
I have never worked for FAANG companies. Most of the companies I have worked for are small or medium sized. I am currently looking for a job and most jobs now require cloud development.
Farmazonian
Based on my experience, having a hands-on experience with cloud development is much more important than a formal certification. In jobs interviews, I was mostly asked about solutions that I built using AWS (and cloud in general), about corresponding design patterns, operational challenges and various aspects like scalability, maintainability, etc. I was also asked about CAP theorem and other related questions. At the same time, I was never asked about formal certifications. Based on that, my recommendation would be to first aim to obtain hands-on experience with cloud, preferably with scalable, distributed, highly available and highly loaded systems. Later at some point you may add a formal certification on top of that. Hope this helps.
Knight1
I agree overall with this reply. However, for junior developers who do not have any experience with cloud at all, it could make sense to start with an online course, earn a certificate and put it on their resume. The purpose is to get through the prescreen wall. After you are in, prioritizing practical experience over formal certificates totally makes sense. Good luck!